Three-year-old Blogger's Inspiring Chemotherapy Diary


Samantha Hughes has spent the past year battling a disease of the nerve cells that affects fewer than 100 children in the UK each year.

Tens of thousands of supporters have been following her progress via the internet after her father Neil began detailing her struggle in a web-log.

The youngster's diary - called simply "Samantha's Story" - is written in the style her parents think she would use if she could pen it herself.

It begins: "I seem to have lost my appetite for the last few weeks. The only things I fancy eating are yoghurt during the day and milk during the night.

"Mummy and daddy have noticed my belly has become quite swollen, so they are going to take me to see the doctor to see whether I am poorly or not."

In the weeks after her first entry Samantha underwent a series of X-rays, CT scans, bone-marrow tests and biopsies to diagnose her problem.

Doctors eventually found she had neuroblastoma, a rare and aggressive form of childhood cancer whose victims are usually aged less than five.

The condition, about which little is still known, causes a solid tumour that usually originates in the abdomen in the tissue of the adrenal gland.

Now, after 13 gruelling rounds of chemotherapy and an operation to remove a growth, Samantha is at last showing no signs of the disease.

But she still faces an agonising wait to see whether the cancer will return - and doctors have warned there will be little hope for her if it does.

She says in her blog: "Although I'm winning my battle against this deadly cancer, I have a long way to go before I can say I have won the war.

"The doctors say that if the disease does come back my body will not be able to cope with any more chemotherapy, so I have a very anxious wait.

"But I'm not the kind of girl to sit around thinking of things like that. I'm concentrating on living life to the full and enjoying every second of my life."

It is inspiring to hear about Samantha's journey in her own words. Hopefully this little girl will be a role model for kids like her. Please visit her site to read her story in her own words. www.samanthahughes.co.uk

Related Articles:

I'm a Superhero by Daxton Wilde and Sherry Wilde

SOURCE:DAILYMAIL


Comments

Anonymous said…
What a brave little girl. Good luck Samantha.

Popular Posts