Tuesday, December 26, 2006
Three-year old Saved Family By Putting Out Christmas Tree Fire
This little girl was very brave. For a three-year old to think so quickly is remarkable.
When the Woolliss' mini tree caught fire, Lilly-May, their daughter knew exactly what to do. She instinctively grabbed the duvet off her bed and smothered the flames.
All of the excitement happened on Christmas Eve. Lilly had a friend over and they were watching a movie in her room.
A small tree that had been placed in her room to replace a night light started to spark and then eventually caught on fire. Lilly, thinking quickly grabbed her duvet and smothered the fire before it could spread to anything else in the room.
Her mom, who was downstairs at the time, is not sure where she learned her fire ending technique saying,
"It's remarkable bearing in mind she is only three years old. Maybe she has seen it on TV or some kind of fire safety lesson at her nursery. It's incredible. I shudder to think what could have happened had she not been so calm and collected when the tree first caught light. She is our little hero. I'm so proud of her. She saved our Christmas."
I think we underestimate what our kids learn. The are little sponges, soaking up information all over the place. This little girl is very lucky, she did a great job saving Christmas!!