<




growingyourbaby@rogers.com





Friday, March 13, 2009
10 Children Hospitalized After Daycare Mistakens Wiper Fluid for Kool-Aid

Ten children were hospitalized yesterday after staffers at an Arkansas daycare center mistook windshield wiper fluid for Kool-Aid.

A pediatrician at Arkansas Children's Hospital in Little Rock says the children, ages 2 to 6, are OK, but continue to be monitored. The doctor said each child drank about an ounce late Thursday afternoon.

Only one child remained hospitalized Friday morning, after blood samples showed "measurable levels" of methanol, a highly toxic alcohol that can induce comas and cause blindness, officials said.
The daycare's operator, Carolyn Bynum was interviewed today by child welfare investigators and gave up her license.

Even though she did not comment on the event Julie Munsell, a spokeswoman for the state Department of Human Services did say,

"She was so upset about what had occurred and she was definitely worried some of the children had been injured. It was just a mistake, she says. She says it was just a horrible mistake."

This whole situation is sad for everyone involved. We hope that none of the kids have long term effects from what has happened.

SOURCE


Labels: ,

1 Comments:

I can't even imagine how that is possible. I work at a daycare centre and anything even remotely toxic is locked up and kept nowhere near the kitchen!

Not to mention that all toxic substances must be clearly labelled. And doesn't windshield washer fluid have a strong aroma?

3/14/2009 08:28:00 pm  

Post a Comment

<< Home