<




Sunday, December 27, 2009
Parents of Infant Who Died In Faulty Crib Sues

Parents of 7-month-old Reese Morgan, an infant who died in a recalled Stork Craft cribs have filed a lawsuit against the manufacturer.

According to the family attorney, the 7-month-old infant died as a result of a defect in the drop-side rail on the crib. A space was created between the rail and the mattress, causing the infant's body to become stuck and leading to suffocation. Stork Craft recalled 2.1 million cribs in November after the U.S. Consumer Products Safety Commission looked at 15 cases of child entrapment, four of which resulting in death.

There were over 110 known incidents of the drop-side rail detaching from the crib, causing a serious hazard for infants. These have all occurred in cribs with a drop-side plastic trigger and the one-hand-system. Richard Arsenault, an attorney for the Morgan family, was quoted as saying:

“Families put their faith in companies to create safe products. Consumers must be able to rely on manufacturers to act responsibly. As new parents, you try to protect your child from injuries. Now you find yourself in a situation where conduct over which you had no control leads to tragedy.”
The defective Stork Craft cribs were manufactured between January 1993 and October 2009, many of which were sold with a Fisher Price logo. The cribs were sold at most major retail stores in the U.S. and Canada, including J.C. Penny, Kmart, Sears and Wal-Mart.

Officials are advising parents who have these cribs to discontinue use immediately and contact Stork Craft to request a repair kit. You can contact Stork Craft toll-free at (877) 274-0277 or via their website, www.storkcraft.com. - Summer, staff writer

Related Articles:

SOURCE


Labels: , , , , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home